Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program
The USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options to children in elementary schools.
The healthy fruit and vegetable snacks are provided to children at no cost. They are offered separately from the lunch or breakfast meals.
The goals of the FFVP are to:
- Create healthier school environments by providing healthier food choices.
- Expand the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future health.
Through an annual application process (early spring), elementary schools participating in the National School Lunch Program are selected to enroll in the FFVP. To be selected for the FFVP, a school must
- Be an elementary school
- Represent the highest percentage of students certified for free and reduced price benefits
- Participate in the NSLP
- Complete an annual application for the FFVP
For additional information go to:
or contact Sandra Fabrizio,
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Coordinator.