AP Exam Waivers
Advanced Placement examinations are taken each spring at the end of year-long courses that are designed to provide college-level curricula. Many colleges and universities grant credits and/or advanced placement based on AP scores.
Important Information Regarding Advance Placement Test Fees
Recently the USDOE released funds to support the AP Test Fee Program. For qualifying students, these additional funds will cover most of the cost of AP Exams. The total cost required for qualifying students in the 2015-16 school year is $15 fee per exam.
RIDE does not have any standard guidance on how to collect AP exam fees or, if applicable, distribute AP exam refunds. Each school and LEA has different policies about how it handles the collection of funds/distribution of refunds for the AP exams.
Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Reduced Exam Fee for Qualifying Students
Rhode Island public school students enrolled in Advanced Placement courses who qualify for free/reduced lunch also qualify for the AP Exam Fee Waiver Program. This year Rhode Island will be receiving a grant from the USDOE to subsidize the cost of the AP Exam, allowing qualifying students to take AP Exams for $15.
A student is eligible for the AP Exam Fee Reduction if the student qualifies for free or reduced lunch, was enrolled in the AP class/classes for the 2015-2016 school year, and will be taking an AP exam in Spring 2016.
What the school must do:
Before the AP Exam: Schools are required to keep all records of student enrollment in AP courses and qualification for free/reduced lunch in the event that the USDOE audits RIDE. It is suggested that you maintain an up to date list with students who qualify for the AP Fee Reduction and their corresponding AP class/classes.
- Fill in the "Option 1" oval on qualifying students' AP Exam answer sheets.
- Enter the total number of exams (not students) that qualify for the fee reduction when generating your invoice online.
- AP Coordinators must send $15 to the AP Program for each AP Exam, including AP Research and AP Seminar Exams, taken by qualifying students.
- AP Coordinators must submit a copy of their invoice to RIDE.
- Maintain a list of students who qualify for the AP Exam Fee Waiver; record each individual exam that the student is taking.