AP Exam Waivers
Advanced Placement examinations are taken each spring at the end of year-long courses that are designed to provide college-level curricula. Many colleges and universities grant credits and/or advanced placement based on AP scores.
Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Reduced Exam Fee for Qualifying Students
The Rhode Island Department of Education will provide funds to maintain the subsidized Advanced Placement Test Fees for free-and-reduced-lunch-eligible students for tests taken in the AY16-17 school year. The purpose of this initiative is to alleviate some of the financial burdens that prevent many economically disadvantaged students from taking the College Board Advanced Placement (AP). The College Board provides a $30 fee reduction per exam for students with financial need. For each AP Exam taken with a fee reduction, the school forgoes its $9 rebate, resulting in a cost of $53 per exam for the student. The RIDE funding will cover $38 for each AP test taken by a qualifying student. Therefore, qualifying students are asked to contribute $15 for each AP test they take.
RIDE does not have any standard guidance on how to collect AP exam fees or, if applicable, distribute AP exam refunds. Each school and LEA has different policies about how it handles the collection of funds/distribution of refunds for the AP exams.
A student is eligible for the AP Exam Fee Reduction if the student qualifies for free or reduced lunch, was enrolled in the AP class/classes for the 2016-2017 school year, and will be taking an AP exam in Spring 2017.
What the school must do:
The process for ordering tests has not changed. As a reminder, A brief summary is included below. For more detailed instructions, please see the College Board's website.
Before the AP Exam: Schools are required to keep all records of student enrollment in AP courses and qualification for free/reduced lunch in the event that the USDOE audits RIDE. It is suggested that you maintain an up to date list with students who qualify for the AP Fee Reduction and their corresponding AP class/classes.
- Fill in the "Option 1" oval on qualifying students' AP Exam answer sheets.
- Enter the total number of exams (not students) that qualify for the fee reduction when generating your invoice online.
- AP Coordinators must send $15 to the AP Program for each AP Exam, including AP Research and AP Seminar Exams, taken by qualifying students.
- AP Coordinators must submit a copy of their invoice to RIDE.
- Maintain a list of students who qualify for the AP Exam Fee Waiver; record each individual exam that the student is taking.