The Alternate Assessments (RIAA & MSAA)
The alternate assessments are designed for students with significant cognitive disabilities. The structure of the alternate assessments are designed around the students’ physical and cognitive disabilities in a way that allows them to answer test questions and participate in the test as independently as possible.
Students participate in state assessments in one of three ways.
- The general assessment (NECAP Science, PARCC)
- The general assessment with accommodations (NECAP Science, PARCC)
- The alternate assessments (RIAA/MSAA)
Students eligible for alternate assessments make up approximately 1% of the student population. Rhode Island has two alternate assessments:
- The Rhode Island Alternate Assessment (RIAA) in science.
- The Multi-State Alternate Assessment (MSAA) in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics.
More information on the alternate assessments can be found by clicking on the tabs and links below.