The Alternate Assessments (RIAA & NCSC)
The alternate assessments are designed for students with significant cognitive disabilities. The structure of the alternate assessments are designed around the students’ physical and cognitive disabilities in a way that allows them to answer test questions and participate in the test as independently as possible.
Students participate in state assessments in one of three ways.
- The general assessment (NECAP/PARCC)
- The general assessment with accommodations (NECAP/PARCC)
- The alternate assessments (RIAA/NCSC)
While students eligible for alternate assessments make up approximately 1% of the student population, they are an important part of our student community. Rhode Island has two alternate assessments:
- The Rhode Island Alternate Assessment (RIAA) in science.
- The National Center and State Consortium (NCSC) in ELA, writing, and mathematics.
More information on the RIAA, NCSC, and the standards can be found by clicking the on the tabs and links below.
To join the RIAA list-serv to receive announcements and updates, please download and then fill out this form
and click "Submit by Email" (the submit button may not work when completed within your Internet browser). If you have questions about the form, please contact Heather Heineke at Heather.Heineke@ride.ri.gov