Adult Education and GED
Programs in Adult Education, GED, Workforce Training and English for Speakers of Other Languages are offered during the day and evening. Program offerings also include contextualized classes that prepare adults for jobs and career pathways. Instruction is provided face to face and online.
A Successful Multi-Agency Collaboration
The Rhode Island Department of Education funds qualified not-for-profit agencies to implement Adult Education and Workforce Training programs that support the achievement of two statewide outcomes.
- All Rhode Island adults have the skills and credentials they need for upward mobility (college and career), for engaged citizenship, and for leading strong families and communities.
- All Rhode Island employers have access to a pool of workers with the skills they need to remain competitive and grow.
Collaboration between RIDE, the Governor’s Office and the Governor’s Workforce Board has led to the establishment of key investment priorities in the following outcome areas:
Strong Families and Communities
- Expansion of Family Literacy
- Provision of Comprehensive Community-based classroom Adult Basic Education, Adult Secondary Education, and English as a Second Language (English for Speakers of Other Languages).
- Expansion of Distance Learning
Upward Mobility through College and Career Readiness
- Expansion of adult education that is contextualized and supports career pathways for youth and adults in Rhode Island’s nine critical and emerging industries.
- Integration of adult education and hands-on technical training leading to academic and industry credentials for low-skilled current and former welfare recipients and other unemployed low-skilled adults
- Integration of pre- and post-release adult education services for the incarcerated.
- Expansion of transition to postsecondary education and training/apprenticeship programs that use dual or concurrent enrollment including rigorous Adult Secondary Education for those preparing for postsecondary education based on internationally benchmarked college and career readiness standards.
Civic Engagement and Student Leadership
- Continuation of English Literacy / Civics Education & Student Engagement
- Expansion of Student Leadership