Healthier US School Challenge
The Healthier US School Challenge is a voluntary certification initiative developed by the USDA. It has recognized many RI schools for their efforts in improving food and beverage offerings, teaching kids about nutritious food choices and being physically active, providing opportunities for physical activity, and having supportive school wellness policies.
Recognizing Excellence in Nutrition and Physical Activity
Participation in the HealthierUS School Challenge is voluntary and certifies schools that meet specific criteria at four award levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Gold Award of Distinction.
Schools are eligible to apply if they meet or exceed all HealthierUS School Challenge criteria for the desired award level relating to the following:
- School Breakfast and Lunch Offerings
- Foods Sold Outside of the School Meal Programs (such as in vending machines and à la carte)
- Average Daily Participation for the School Breakfast and National School Lunch Program (for Silver awards and higher)
- Nutrition Education
- Physical Education
- Opportunities for Physical Activity
- School Wellness Policies and Practices
- A Menu of Other Criteria of Excellence From Which Schools Select
For additional information of the Healthier US School Challenge:
Visit the Team Nutrition website or contact:
Here is a listing of those schools who achieved recognition.
Learn more about the HUSSC application process.